I’m always looking for new bra patterns to test out and share with my readers. So when I found a new designer on Etsy I jumped to purchase one of their designs and to sew it up. I choose the Ophelia, a foam cup bra pattern with a decorative external sling. It comes in UK sizes 30-40 A-D and 30-38DD. The company The Lingerie Sewing Company was not one I had heard of before. The illustration and product photos looked promising so I gave it chance.
I cut a size 36B to fit my 36B mannequin. The first issue I had with this pattern which makes it difficult to objectively review it is that the pattern pieces are mislabelled. All the foam cup pieces for the size bracket I was making were labelled with the same size. (The pattern arrives in 3 pdf files) This made it difficult to know if I was using the right pieces for the size I wanted. I was able to assemble the pattern to somewhat resemble the diagram but the foam cups did not fit into the cradle comfortably.
Because of this, I can’t really comment on the sizing though the band fit my 36B form well. The cups have a very round look and a projected shape which is desirable for a bra of this style. The cup fits a little generously for a B cup but this may be a plus for many home bra makers. The instructions and illustrations were quite clear and the average bra maker would have no difficulty following them.
I chose to quilt the cups to resemble the sample photo although this is not part of the instructions.
I wish I had a more positive experience with this pattern. In reality, it is probably a fairly serviceable pattern but when I have to struggle to make something look good despite having nearly 20 years of bra making experience I am hesitant to recommend a pattern to my customers who might be making their first or second bra.
If there is a demand I can do a tutorial on how you can draft a decorative outer sling from a tried and true pattern since I am a big fan of drafting the design details you like based on your own fitted bra block.